Provider materials and tools
Provider appeals and reconsiderations
To better serve our providers, Magellan Complete Care is reforming their guidelines for medical records submissions.
Medical records must be accompanied with one of the following:
- A detailed cover letter to include the items specified in the Provider Appeals form. The cover letter must identify why the medical records were sent as well as a clinical summary of the provider’s rebuttal with references to national criteria such as; Interqual and/or Milliman –or
- A complete and detailed Provider Appeals form (additional pages can be attached).
If the sender does not provide Magellan Complete Care with the materials indicated above, the medical record will not be reviewed and a letter informing the sender of the reason for denial will be sent. This requirement is an expectation of the health plan and required for all Appeals and Reconsiderations. The cover letter or Provider Appeal form must be submitted before the 30 day expiration date on the notification, regardless of the type.
Inpatient Hospital Days Benefit Exhaustion Medical Necessity Reviews
Medical Records submitted for those aged 21 years and older for emergency services due to being over the inpatient hospital days benefit limit must be submitted as follows:
- A cover letter that must state that the facility is requesting a review for days they deem they provided emergency services. The cover letter must also include the dates that the hospital is seeking reimbursement, as well as an explanation indicating that the absence of immediate medical attention on those days would result in the following:
- Placing the health of the individual (or, for a pregnant woman, the health of the woman or her unborn child) in serious jeopardy.
- Serious impairment to bodily functions.
- Serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.
- Medical Records should include the History and Physical, Discharge Summary, Physician’s Order and Progress Notes. It is not necessary to send nurses’ notes or pages of medications that the member received in the hospital.
Please refer to your provider contract if you have any questions related to the above.
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-327-8613.